Friday, July 5, 2013

Book Club Friday {July 5}

Hey y'all,

I hope you had a wonderful day off celebrating the birth of the USA but today is back to work for me. I thought I would share some new reads I finally got to now that Kids Week is over. I read three books this week and I am almost done with two others so I would call it a successful week in my book reading challenge of 113 this year. I don't know what it is but I always read more in the summertime! So you know the drill, this week I read(as always images and descriptions from Goodreads):

via
Married to some of Washington, D.C.'s most influential men, Bethany, Deanna and Marisol are on the guest list at every high-profile political and social event. And when they meet at a fundraiser, they forge a deep, unexpected friendship.Beneath the glamour, all three are struggling to hide the void in their marriages. Bethany's teenage stepdaughter is wreaking chaos at home, and to escape Bethany begins writing an anonymous, dirt-dishing gossip column. Deanna is a successful event planner, longing for a baby and unaware of her husband's double life. Marisol, too, is desperate to start a family, and starting to question her husband's commitment, and her own.
As their friendship deepens, Bethany, Marisol and Deanna help each other decide how far they'll go to fulfill their desires. Because in passion—as in politics—one mistake can change everything….


As a person obsessed with Scandal I thought this book would be up my alley. However, this book follows three women who all are connected in someway to D.C. life. I thought the book was very rushed and some items were never really resolved. The characters themselves were interesting and I liked Bethany the best, however, the random spurts of language and sex were not my cup of tea.
3 of 5 stars



via
He stole her lipstick…and her heart.
Twenty-year-old Dani Walker can’t believe her luck when she’s paired up with the gorgeous Liam Garrett as her Acting I scene partner – or when he ends up in her bed. Being a Plain Jane with a mouth on her hasn’t exactly served Dani well in the guy department. In fact, she’s had nothing but one night stands. Still, she lets go of her insecurities and falls for Liam, despite feeling like he’s holding something back.
When Dani finally discovers Liam’s secret, she must learn the true meaning of accepting the ones we love for who they are, or risk losing the best thing that’s ever happened to her.


I found this book on NetGalley and was intrigued. It is inspired by a true story and I thought the author, Stacey Wallace Benefiel did a wonderful job of writing a young adult romance that was page-turning as well as surprising. I don't want to give any spoilers away about Dani and Liam but I loved the inclusion of a discussion of identity as part of a person and exploring identity in the college setting. While I would probably not recommend it to many people based on some of the concepts I did enjoy the book.
4 of 5 stars

via

Better Date than Never Series, Book 2
Gina Hall is done with men who won’t commit. Ten years waiting for her ex to propose wasted her time. Never again. When her friend Kristen starts a game of Truth or Dare, she dares Gina to go on a date with Ethan, who’s amazing and total marriage material.
As Gina plans the going away party for office playboy Chris Bradley, she spontaneously initiates a game of Truth or Dare with him. When his turn comes around, he dares Gina to pose as his girlfriend to help get a flirty colleague off his back. Gina finds playing couple with Chris way too much fun.
Even though Gina and Chris are pretending, their relationship begins to feel painfully real. Fearing she might be falling for another fly-by man, Gina must focus on Ethan so she doesn’t make the same dating mistakes all over again.


Another NetGalley discovery I enjoyed this short novella as Gina and Chris play the childhood game of Truth or Dare. While a short read, I fell in love with Gina's character as she connects to real life since who doesn't love a tub of ice cream after a break-up? Gina focused on herself and refused to alter in order to find love. I didn't feel like the story was rushed at all even with the short 100 pages you are given and it left me wanting to trace my steps and begin with the first book of the series Love at First Date.
4 of 5 stars

I am almost finished with Awaken and Just One Day so I am sure you will see them on the next book club Friday! 

What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the sweet note!