Friday, October 3, 2014

Book Club Friday {Where'd You Go Bernadette}

Hey y'all,

My book club at work recently completed Where'd You Go, Bernadette as our September book. While I had had this on my GoodReads radar for over a year I had never sought the book out to read. Now I have finished the book and thought I would share some of my thoughts since I know a large number of you have read it! Please comment with your thoughts on the book as well! 
via
Description:
Bernadette Fox is notorious. To her Microsoft-guru husband, she's a fearlessly opinionated partner; to fellow private-school mothers in Seattle, she's a disgrace; to design mavens, she's a revolutionary architect, and to 15-year-old Bee, she is a best friend and, simply, Mom.
Then Bernadette disappears. It began when Bee aced her report card and claimed her promised reward: a family trip to Antarctica. But Bernadette's intensifying allergy to Seattle—and people in general—has made her so agoraphobic that a virtual assistant in India now runs her most basic errands. A trip to the end of the earth is problematic.
To find her mother, Bee compiles email messages, official documents, secret correspondence—creating a compulsively readable and touching novel about misplaced genius and a mother and daughter's role in an absurd world.


Review:
It took a while to get used to the format of the book since it changes perspectives often from an email to Bee's point of view to a letter, etc. But once you get into the book and later find out about the reason for the formatting it makes more sense. I thought that Bernadette herself was very funny as a character however, the handling of mental illnesses and drug abuse were pretty appalling. I also think the book ends abruptly and I would have loved to have had another chapter to finish it. It was a good quick read!
   
And, if any of you grew up with Pizza Hut's Book It program, it's back! As a BookIt Alum you can sign up and gain a free personal pizza! No reading required this time! 

What is on your to-read list? 
I am about to re-read The Best of Me in prep for watching the movie with my Mom in a few weeks.

8 comments:

  1. I read this a year or so ago and think it was probably one of the best books I've read in recent years. When someone asks for a book recommendation this is usually what I suggest. I thought the story was clever and enjoyed the writing, but I agree I would have liked an extra chapter at the end. Also it made me never want to live in Seattle

    Hill @ From Mississippi With Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had been reccomended this book so much so I am glad that it did not disappoint. I think it could have been a bit longer but the format was fun. I agree that I would hate living in Seattle!

      Delete
  2. That's so crazy that the BookIt program is back! I definitely participated when I was little, and I have such happy memories. In addition to a pizza, I think I also had a BookIt button!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I had the button as well! I love programs that encourage people to read, I mean, I did receive a BA in English!

      Delete
  3. I read this book while I was on vacation at the beach this summer and I loved it! Like you said, it was kind of difficult to get used to the format, but once I got used to it, I couldn't stop reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really quick read, I just wish there was one more chapter!

      Delete
  4. I just bought this book last night because everyone was raving about it! The format is taking some getting used to but so far,I like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the book!

      Delete

Thanks for the sweet note!