Friday, August 22, 2014

Book Club Friday: if i stay

Hey y'all,

Today's book review is timely since the movie adaptation for if i stay comes out TODAY! I grabbed this book on my nook this past week and it is such a fast read. I think it took me a total of two days to read this book and this is one of the busiest weeks of the year at work for me.
via
 Description:
 On a day that started like any other, Mia had everything: a loving family, a gorgeous, admiring boyfriend, and a bright future full of music and full of choices. In an instant, almost all of that is taken from her. Caught between life and death, between a happy past and an unknowable future, Mia spends one critical day contemplating the only decision she has left. It is the most important decision she'll ever make.
Simultaneously tragic and hopeful, this is a romantic, riveting, and ultimately uplifting story about memory, music, living, dying, loving

Review:
So I had never heard of this book until I first saw the movie trailer and started to get misty eyed. The entire book takes place in a close to 24 hour time period with flashbacks to Mia's past. Told in her perspective the book begins with a day off of school due to a snow storm that left barely any snow on the roads. The family decides to make a day of it and heads to their family friend's house. On the way, the family is hurled into a car accident and Mia is in an out of body experience. She soon learns that she has the power to make the decision to stay and live or go on. I was surprised I did not cry as much in this book but there were a lot of emotional moments. I felt awful for Mia and it was interesting to see her relationship with Adam over the past. The majority of the book is seen through her observations of people at the hospital and then her past with her parents and relationships with Adam and Kim(her best friend). I thought it was a quick read and while not my favorite book ever it was a nice piece of YA fiction.

There is a sequel to the book called Where She Went that I might pick up soon since the ending of the book was pretty interesting. I will also update y'all on my thoughts about the movie since I am going with my roomie tomorrow.

Have you read if i stay? What are you currently reading?

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like an interesting book, but definitely a tear-jerker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll probably skip the book and just see the movie, but I wonder why she would possibly want to choose to go, at that young age. To me it seems pretty obvious that she's going to choose to stay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED the book! I read it in the car on the way to the beach last week and it only took me about 4 hours to get through. I actually immediately downloaded the 2nd book, and got through it almost as fast. It is told through Adam's perspective, and it was a fun twist on the whole story! I definitely recommend it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the sweet note!